Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Disney Mediums

Most people remember watching Disney movies as a child. How did we watch those movies? On VHS. Those who remember watching Disney on VHS remember the giant cases, bordered in white with the removable cover. As most of you know, I remade a VHS cover for my Detournment project. After collecting as many of the Disney movies as I could on VHS, the DVD was introduced. And thanks to the most wonderful Disney scam, The Disney Vault, amassing my new Disney DVD collection became substantially difficult. And now, thanks to Blu-Ray, the DVD collection that I’ve created is now obsolete. Not to mention the ridiculous expense of trying to make a Disney Blu-Ray collection. But the real question: Is it worth it? Are the sharper images and special features worth the nostalgia quality that watching VHS brings? Not that I haven’t tried to add Disney’s DVDs to my collection, but I still find myself going to Movie Trading Company and digging around in their old VHS bins to try and find the Disney movies that I’m missing or that have been broken over the years. And about the special features conundrum, I remember getting the special extended edition of Peter Pan that included an extra feature about the making of the movie. This happens to be where I learned quite a bit of information about the movie that I included in my presentation. Disney VHS still hold nostalgia value for me. It’s almost like going to the movies, watching the previews for the new Disney movies that are going to come out, laughing about how old some of the movies are, trying to remember what I was like when those movies came out. And yet, the question remains: Should you upgrade you collection and lose the nostalgia value, or continue to watch the old video tapes, and at least for a time, remember the innocence of childhood?

No comments:

Post a Comment